I received this book for free from Barclay Publicity in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Published by Self-published on February 26, 2018
Format: kindle e-book
Source: Barclay Publicity
Buy on Amazon, Buy on IBooks, Buy on Kobo, Buy on Indigo
How can two simple words make Dylan Bronstad's heart ache and sing at the same time?
Even seven years ago, Kelly Anne Leeson had possessed that power. Back then, all Dylan wanted to do was drink and make love to her. Really, it was no wonder she'd climbed out of his bed and walked out of his life, leaving him with nothing but a nasty hangover and the lonely memories of their time together.
Today, Dylan's life is on track. He's sober with the support of his family and his tight-knit group of friends. But Kelly could derail all he's worked to accomplish. Unfortunately, he can't seem to stay away from her.
Lured by the offer of her dream job, Kelly returns home to Crawford Falls and the friends she'd abandoned a lifetime ago. Mending those broken relationships will require some honest answers and a fair amount of forgiveness.
But facing Dylan will take a lot more-like maybe a suit of armor to protect her battle-weary heart and the secret she fears she'll never be able to keep.
While Kelly searches for a way to maintain the safe life she's created for her son, Dylan works to remind her of the relationship they once had.
Just as they rekindle their relationship, secrets and half-truths threaten to destroy everything.
We are excited to share HELPING HER REMEMBER by Kate Carley. Fans of second-chance romance will find this heartwarming story of redemption. Follow the tour for exclusive excerpts, reviews, and a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card + three runner-ups will get an ebook copy of HELPING HER REMEMBER.
Contemporary Romance, second-chance love story.
First book of a new series, with a lot of secondary characters for a future.
Not a light read, because it touches a lot of deep topics.
- Addictiveness: I love small town romance and the tight community feeling it usually brings. Crawford Falls feels like a great community and I really became invested in several characters. It kept me guessing and wanting more!
- Character: hero 4.5/5, heroine 3.5/5, secondary characters 5/5, growth 4/5, real 3/5 I really loved Dylan and how the author developed his story. He has overcome so much and has totally turned himself. I have really admire him. I like Kelly, but I can never agree with someone hiding a child from a father. I also did not understand her reasons. Several interesting secondary characters. They are all easy to like, connect and understand.
- Cover: art 4/5, title 4/5, subtitle 4/5, color-font 5/5, buy 3.5/5 Really beautiful art. The title is perfect for the story and the colors used only enhance the love vibe. I’m uncertain if I would buy without reading the blurb, because it feels like a very sweet love story. I guess I needed to read the blurb.
- Freshness: Even though the story doesn’t have anything we could say WOW, how different, the overall book has a fresh vibe. The way the author developed Dylan’s story arc feels different from what is usually done.
- Plot: believable 2/5, conflict 3/5, dialogue 3.5/5, ending 4/5, enjoyment 3.5/5, opening 4/5, pace 3/5, setting 5/5, subplots 4/5, twists 3.5/5 This was a good plot. A good foundation for a new series. There is a lot to be explored in the future. I like the story arc, but didn’t feel believable the pace of the story.
- Romance: believable 3/5, chemistry 4/5, description 4/5, development 3/5, steam 3/5 This is a love story. I have no doubt that Dylan and Kelly love each other.
- Writing Style: Amazing characters with an interesting plot. The author has built a great foundation for a new series. I will be on the look out.
- Plot: I think the author has simplify too much a very serious matter. I know, this is a book and it had to end, but hiding a son for 6 years is serious. I think Dylan had to put Kelly longer in the dog house.
- Romance: I have the same problem that I had with the plot, the hurdles were over simplified.
I have mixed feelings with this one.
I truly loved the characters and the setting, but the plot felt unreal too me.
But, I’m a character person, so there are several characters that I would love to know more. Also, I fell in love with this small town community. I will be looking for book #2.
- Action 1/5
- Angst 4/5
- Darkness 0/5
- Humor 2/5
- Romance 53/5
- Suspense/Mystery 0/5
- Would I recommend? I would recommend this book for readers that enjoy the small town vibe.
- Would I re-read this book? I don’t know.
- Would I re-read this series? Yes.
- Would I read more from the author? Yes, I will follow this series.
You MAY read this because you like small town settings; you SHOULD read this because you like second chances romance; you MUST read this to meet an amazing hero!
HELPING HER REMEMBER Excerpt
Copyright © 2018 Kate Carley
“Isn’t that your turn?” she asked, huffing embarrassingly loud when they passed the county road and made their way up a fairly steep incline.
“I’m running you home.”
“Don’t need to. I’m a big girl, you know?” Kelly could feel his lazy perusal from her head down to her toes and back again. She was sweaty and gross, and he was checking her out. Unbelievable.
“Mmm. Yes, I know,” he said.
They ran in silence the rest of the way, because it was just too damn hard for her to talk. And he knew it. When they reached the top of the hill and turned onto her street, he said, “Let’s cool down.” They slowed their pace to a casual walk. “I never get to run with anyone. That was nice.”
“But you cut your run short for me. And it’s obvious, you’re in far better shape than I am, given that you can actually talk and run at the same time.”
Dylan just laughed at her comment, clasping his hand with hers, lacing their fingers together. “Go out with me, Kelly Anne. I’ve missed you, and I really want to get to know you again.”
The feel of his hand in hers and that sweet invitation sent a familiar surge of excitement through her. Kelly’s heart squeezed and her stomach did that little flip-flop rollercoaster thing again. As always, her body seemed to respond so naturally to Dylan’s attention. Or perhaps foolishly was a more appropriate definition of her response. While he apparently had warm memories of their time together, to her their relationship had been like watching an incredible firework display-spectacular, bright, loud-and then she’d been plunged into a dark, silent night all alone.
Kelly came to a stop near the side of her mom’s house and turned to face him, sucking in a deep breath and trying to ignore the nice hum of arousal playing through her body. “Jesse’s your best friend, right?” She didn’t wait, because she knew the answer. “Do you hold his hand like this when the two of you are together?” Classic Dylan reaction. He burst into laughter and then released her hand to give her a brief hug. When he stepped back, he wore that expression that generally got him exactly what he wanted. Kelly sighed and shook her head. “No, Dylan. I’m not interested in dating.”
Dylan moved in closer, tilting her chin up with one finger so she’d be forced to meet his eyes. Why did he insist on touching her like that? It did crazy things to her brain, not to mention the fact that it all but melted her resolve. “You’re kidding me. Come on, Kelly Anne. We were great together. Why not try it again?”
Because I know my heart will never survive.
Enter to win a $25 Amazon gift card +
Three Runner-ups will win a HELPING HER REMEMBER eBook!