I received this book for free from Goddess Fish Promotions in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Dark Longing by Aja James
Series: Pure Ones #2
on January 18, 2018
Genres: Paranormal, Romantic Fantasy
Format: kindle e-book
Source: Goddess Fish Promotions
Buy on Amazon
“Every story has more than one side, like a crystal that captures and reflects different colors of light. Do not take for granted what you think you know… for until you hold the entire jewel in your palm, the temptation is to fall prey to illusion and deception.”
This is a story of the Dark Ones…
Inanna: the vampire warrior
Known as the Angel of Death among her Kind, she has lived millennia alone, one of the remaining True Bloods in existence, unconsciously longing for the one male she could never have…
Gabriel: the forbidden human
His soul recognizes hers from the first encounter. With the first touch, he is awakened… Though he does not know it, he has been searching for her across the ages…
But even as they are finally reunited, their love faces seemingly impossible odds. Would history repeat itself or will they break all the rules and chart a new course together?
Also in this series: Pure Healing, Dark Desires , Dark Desires
Also by this author: Pure Healing, Dark Desires , Dark Desires
- Addictiveness: I’ve been obsessed with this series. Is so good! One sitting for me.
- Character: hero 5/5, heroine 5/5, secondary characters 5/5, growth 5/5, real 5/5 They are all amazing. With each book I meet some new ones and have a better understanding of them. All characters are multi-dimensional with amazing storyline. They are easy to love, connect and understand. This is the other side of the coin from book one. And you know what, I love the duality the author plays here. How different are the pure from the dark? At the core, no matter what race we are, we are all the same.
- Cover: art 4/5, title 5/5, subtitle 5/5, color-font 3/5, buy 5/5 Cover are one of my obsessions. This one has the perfect tilte and subtitle. Great art work, but not so great use of colors. I would buy this book without reading the blurb by just looking at this cover with the catching title.
- Freshness: Wow! This is UNIQUE! You don’t find this world-built anywhere else and there is a lot of stuff to be still explored. Ms. James here has created a one-of-a-kind and started her own “brand”.
- Plot: believable 5/5, conflict 5/5, dialogue 4/5, ending 5/5, enjoyment 5/5, opening 5/5, pace 5/5, setting 3.5/5, subplots 5/5, twists 5/5 Shocked! I didn’t think it could be better than Pure Healing. It is! This shows the other side of the coin. It shows that no matter where we stand, there is always two sides. In fact, there are eerily similarities between sides. The author doesn’t put a good X bad here. Being the dark doesn’t necessarily means being bad. Like in all parts of real life, everybody is a mixture of both. There is a war, and you see two sides, but there is a lot more gray area than black and white. Perfect plot!!! Some many twists, it gets you dizzy. And I’m already dying here dreaming of seeing the really bad guy turned into good (but not too good)!
- Romance: believable 5/5, chemistry 5/5, description 5/5, development 5/5, steam 5/5 Hot and dirty! 🙂 Really the chemistry here is off the charts and their relationship very inspirational. Yes, I guess I’m always more drawn to the bad.
- Writing Style: Wow! Really, I don’t have much to add. Ms. James writes a perfect plot, with fantastic characters; but forget about all that. Her creativity has no bounds and is a mark worth reading!!!
- If I could start book #3 today!!! 🙂
I have become a fan of Ms. James. First book it could have been a fluke, now this one is a masterpiece. I know when I hit jackpot.
As I said in my other review, I was avoiding reading vampire books. Ms. James has definitely corrected that.
(Yes, I know I have been redundant and said Ms. James this and that. But is all real, the book still feels very real for me, and her name is definitely floating around in my brain. Sorry!)
- Action 3/5
- Angst 4/5
- Darkness 1/5
- Humor 0/5
- Romance 5/5
- Suspense/Mystery 0/5
- Would I recommend? If you like vampires, this is a MUST READ!!!
- Would I re-read this book? Definitely!!!
- Would I re-read this series? Yes!!!
- Would I read more from the author? Ms. James has become a must read for me!!!
You MAY read this because you like vampires; you SHOULD read this because you like steamy books; you MUST read this because the WORLD-BUILT is a masterpiece!
That is what I and my Kind are called.
Bloodsucker. Demon. Devil’s Spawn. Fiend. Incubus.
I cannot say whether I am or am not these things.
I suppose it depends on one’s point of view.
To the humans whose blood, and sometimes souls, I take for survival, I suppose I might appear somewhat… dangerous. But it is all a matter of perspective.
So allow me to give you mine.
I was born. I was not made.
Nor am I a Pure One who chose the so-called Darkness over an excruciating death when they surrendered their love to the wrong person.
I am simply, and always have been, as I am.
There have been times, oh so many times in the millennia that I have lived, that I resented, raged, railed against my existence.
To the Goddess. To the Heavens. To the Universe at large.
But it wasn’t always that way.
I was born into privilege and luxury. Royalty, even.
There was a time, all those thousands of years ago, when vampires ruled the earth. Pure Ones were inferior chattel and humans were our livestock.
And then the Great War reversed the balance of power.
History, as they say, is written by the victors.
And now I and my Kind are hunted like vermin by the very creatures who used to kneel at our feet. There are also human factions who know of us (or at least think they know) and target us for extermination, torture, experimentation, even just for the sport of it. What was once the most powerful civilization the world has ever seen is now in crumbled ruins, its noble citizens degenerating over time into renegades, thieves, lawless parasites.
Few of us True Bloods remain.
Most have either perished in the Great War or in the Purge of the aftermath. Over time, Pure Ones who have lost their faith joined our ranks.
And in this new era, vampires can also be made.
It is this last type of predator that we should all guard ourselves against, for they have no compunction, no morals.
Never-ending, unquenchable thirst for the blood and souls of others.
But this is no longer my concern—this galactic battle between Good and Evil. I ceased to care which was good and which, evil, the day that he betrayed me. I only live for my daughter and son.
My beloved Dark Ones…
Aja James will be awarding a $20 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.