I received this book for free from Inkitt in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Tough Girl by Bonita Van Gerve
on December 10, 2017
Genres: Contemporary Romance, Sports
Format: kindle e-book
Buy on Amazon
Who would have guessed that for two professional fighters, the hardest challenge they’d ever have to face, was falling in love?
Everyone knows that Alex Anderson is one tough girl, everyone but herself that is. The ex MMA fighter is fierce, talented, and smart, but when she looks in the mirror all she sees is an empty shell staring back at her. Ever since she got her heart broken, Alex has been building up walls to protect her heart like she’s learned to protect herself in a fight.
Ryder Cane is the toughest man in the world. Literally. He’s this year's UFC champion who dates models and walks on air, and although Alex knows he’s way out of her league, she can’t help but fantasize every time she sees him in the ring.
When the two meet under unlikely circumstances, Alex is thrown into a world she thought she’d left behind with a man she’d only dreamed of. With the help of Ryder, Alex comes to realize that she may have the strength to fight another day, both inside and outside of the ring.
I am always a sucker for a strong independent woman. I love this book and the characters are very well written. The writer does a great job on writing the plot. It's very action-packed with a lot of character development. -Annie
The idea of a take charge, tough girl able to stand up to guys is awesome and I loved Alex. Yet, at the same time, she is also the same as many others- vulnerable, able to get her heartbroken, and fights against what her heart tells her when it comes to relationships. The struggle to fall in love or not in real and was intriguing. It had me rooting for them as they fought. -Amanda
A girl who likes bikes, used to be a fighter, speaks her mind and doesn’t worry what people think of her… by Ryder
WARNING!!! I got mixed feelings about this one and my review probably will be confusing!!!
A sports, contemporary romance.
A girl who use to be a fighter and become a baker.
A famous fighter, town hero, that wants to keep life as simple as possible.
- Addictiveness: This was a light, fast read for me.
- Character: hero 4/5, heroine 3/5, secondary characters 3.5/5, growth 4/5, real 4/5 Ryder is a great hero. Hot and sweet, not a jerk. Really great boyfriend material. Alex had her annoying moments. It was part of the story, but she acted almost like a teenager. Really didn’t match the title of the book. I was expecting a kick-ass heroine. She isn’t. I really like Ryder’s dad. My favorite secondary character.
- Cover: art 5/5, title 5/5, subtitle 5/5, color-font 5/5, buy 5/5 I decide to read this book because the of stupendous cover. Amazing art, catching title, great colors and font. I would buy this book without even reading the blurb.
- Plot: believable 3.5/5, conflict 3/5, dialogue 3/5, ending 4/5, enjoyment 3.5/5, opening 4/5, pace 3/5, setting 4/5, subplots 1/5, twists 2/5 Great concept for a plot. I like a fighter that is not a bad boy (too many in books now-a-days). I like the tough girl who is a baker and a tomboy at the same time. I have truly enjoyed the friendship the couple got before turning into a romance. I also like the fan-star relationship that becomes real.
- Romance: believable 3/5, chemistry 3/5, description 3/5, development 4/5, steam 2/5 Great pace into the love story. Even though the heroine was a huge fan of the hero, there is caution here. They become friends first and try to really know each other before it jumps into a relationship. Ryder is the perfect boyfriend and give us many cute moments.
- Writing Style: There is a lot of good here. Good characters development, good idea for a plot and somewhat good development of the plot. I can see a new writer that can become really good in the future.
- Freshness: This had everything to be a very unique story, but at the end it become a love story full of clichés. The insecure heroine, the horrible ex, the perfect hero. Very predictable.
- Plot: There were several subplots here that didn’t add anything of value to the story. View Spoiler »Alex’s relationship with her brothers was meaningful, the so-called pregnancy, not at all. Alex ex-boyfriend showing up from nowhere, didn’t add anything to the story. Ryder’s mom, a bad try of an antagonist. « Hide Spoiler
Ok romance, good heroine, great hero!
- Action 3.5/5
- Angst 3/5
- Darkness 0/5
- Humor 3/5
- Romance 4/5
- Suspense/Mystery 0/5
- Would I recommend? I think so. For a cute read!
- Would I re-read this book? No.
- Would I re-read this series? Not a series.
- Would I read more from the author? Yes. Promising writer that can get better with more focus on the main plot.
You MAY read this because you like romance; you SHOULD read this because you like athletes; you MUST read this for an AMAZING book boyfriend!!!