I received this book for free from Barclay Publicity in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Series: Love Over Duty #2
Published by St. Martin’s Press, SWERVE on January 30, 2018
Format: print, Digital
Source: Barclay Publicity
Buy on Amazon, Buy on Barnes & Noble, Buy on IBooks, Buy on Indigo, Buy on Amazon UK
In the Line of Fire...
Former SEAL Malachai “Mac” MacCarrick is all about the future he’s created with his Navy brothers in Eagle Securities, taking assignments in the most dangerous places, and doing things no one but ex-military would attempt. But when an urgent phone call brings his troubled past—and the woman he once loved—into the present, it’s a chance to redeem himself that he can’t refuse.
Straight to the heart. . .
An investigative journalist researching an explosive story, Delaney Shapiro tells herself she got over Mac—and his role in her brother’s death—a long time ago. But the first moment she sees him at her bedside in an overseas hospital, she knows it’s not true. Every moment together rekindles the desire that once burned between them, and now that she’s a target for an emerging Russian arms dealer, Mac won’t let her out of his sight. To protect her, he’ll risk it all—including his life…
Scarlett Cole is back with FINAL SIEGE, book two in the Love Over Duty series. When an urgent phone call brings Mac’s troubled past—and the woman he once loved—into the present, it’s a chance to redeem himself that he can’t refuse. To protect her, he’ll risk it all. Don’t miss out on this second chance romantic suspense featuring yet another sexy alpha hero!
Romantic Suspense, with duo-POV. A lot of action and suspense.
Book 2 of a series. I read as a stand-alone. I understood everything but got intrigued enough to wanting to go back and read book 1.
Great hero, not very likable heroine. Really amazing plot and good setting.
- Addictiveness: This was a fast-paced thriller that kept me guessing until the end. Fast read that could be done in one sitting.
- Character: hero 5/5, heroine 3/5, secondary characters 5/5, growth 4/5, real 4/5 OMG! Mac is perfect! That man is everything you wish for a book-boyfriend and a real one too. Mac’s friends are great characters. I’ve enjoyed their friendship and camaraderie.
- Cover: art 4/5, title 4/5, subtitle 4/5, color-font 4/5, buy 5/5 This is a great cover. It tells us is a military romance with a hot male. I like the title and subtitles. Also the color and font is very tasteful. I would buy this book without reading the blurb.
- Freshness: Really fresh. This story was so full of twists that kept me on my toes always guessing. It didn’t feel old, it felt different from everything else out there.
- Plot: believable 4/5, conflict 5/5, dialogue 5/5, ending 5/5, enjoyment 5/5, opening 5/5, pace 5/5, setting 5/5, subplots 5/5, twists 5/5 This plot is amazing. So well written with lots of action and suspense. At the same time with a good romance that grows accordingly, doesn’t feel rushed. Superb ending!!!
- Romance: believable 5/5, chemistry 5/5, description 5/5, development 3/5, steam 3/5 Their love for each other is undeniable from the beginning. There was a lot of hurt and misguided feeling to overcome. I think Delaney took too long to get finally on board, but this takes off more from my dislike of her than by how the romance was developed. Kudos to Mac for being so patient.
- Writing Style: Amazing! Phenomenal plot with exceptional hero. Everything very cohesive with a meaning to the story. Nothing was there without a reason. This plot is so good that I can even forget my totally dislike of the heroine.
- Characters: Now, Delaney and I had a hard relationship. I will give her kudos for being the type of girl who goes after, not waiting for a man to solve all her problems (even though there was a couple TSTL moments). But that’s all the good I found in her. For the rest, she acted like a child, having a hard time listening and being mature. Yes, she had some misguided info from the past, but past time to move on or at least listen to all the facts. She did show a good growth by the end of the book, but it took too long for me to connect with her.
I haven’t read the first book of the series, but I’m looking forward to correct this mistake. Also, I’m very intrigue about Cabe’s story.
I had to take out a star because of Delaney. If Mac wasn’t so amazing, I probably would have given up this story with my total dislike of the heroine’s actions.
- Action 5/5
- Angst 2/5
- Darkness 0/5
- Humor 0/5
- Romance 4/5
- Suspense/Mystery 3/5
- Would I recommend? I would recommend this book for everyone that enjoy second chance romance, specially if you are looking for amazing hero.
- Would I re-read this book? I don’t know. Only because Delaney made me almost throw my kindle a few times. I’m afraid I will end breaking it. 🙂
- Would I re-read this series? Yes!!!
- Would I read more from the author? I love Ms. Cole’s writing and I will read anything she writes.
You MAY read this because you have followed the series; you should read this because you enjoy an action-packed story; you MUST read this because the hero is PERFECT!!!
Copyright © 2018 Scarlett Cole
Half asleep, unwilling to fully waken and face the day, Delaney snuggled deep into the covers and allowed the dreams that danced on the edge of her consciousness to enter. In it, she was naked, in a large white bed, with a man behind her. A hand spanned her stomach, pulling her back against a firm, warm chest. Spooning. Her favorite thing.
Lazily, the hand moved upward until it cupped her breast, and Delaney secretly urged it to squeeze gently, but it didn’t. Whoever the hand belonged to was definitely aroused. She could feel the heavy erection pressing against her back. Teasingly, she wiggled her butt against him in the hope he’d get the message, but nothing. No response.
Sun shone in through large open windows with white billowing curtains as she reveled in feelings of being turned on.
She turned in the man’s arms, grateful when he pulled her closer to him. His chest was wide, with a light smattering of hair, and she pressed her forehead to it as she slid her hand between them to the waistband of his shorts.
A hand gripped her wrist. “Don’t,” a voice said gruffly. Hard to get? That was a new one. She moved closely and pressed a series of soft kisses to his chest. But she could be that girl. The one who was confident enough to initiate. She licked his nipple and heard him gasp.
“Delaney, please. Fuck. Wake up!”
Suddenly the bed shook. Covers were dragged off her body, and her skin was cold. Then the realization hit her.
Shit. Shit. Shit.
It wasn’t a dream.
Delaney forced one eye open and confirmed her worst nightmare. Mac stood naked, apart from a pair of basketball shorts and a huge erection. And if the tenting was to be believed, his chest and bicep dimensions weren’t the only muscles that had grown. His hair was ruffled, standing up every which way as it always used to, and his eyes told her that she’d woken him up. By attempting to grab his dick.
Dear God. She was going to die.
Enter to win an UNDER FIRE & FINAL SIEGE Paperback
+ $20 Amazon Gift Card!