I received this book for free from RABT Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Second Chances by Kimberley O'Malley
Series: Windsor Falls #3
Published by Carolina Blue Publishing on November 30, 2017
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Source: RABT Book Tours
Buy on Amazon
Dr. Charlotte Avery is the newest resident of Windsor Falls, North Carolina. Just back from the war-ravaged plains of Africa, Charlie only wants to settle into her new life and to reconnect with Elizabeth Fitzgerald, her best friend from residency. What she doesn’t expect, or need, is the instant attraction she feels for Elizabeth’s brother-in-law, Brendan. A single dad, Brendan Fitzgerald isn’t interested in anything that will further complicate his life. Will they be open to a second chance?
- Addictiveness: This was a good read. Not easy, because it has lots of emotional topics, but it grabs the reader into it.
- Character: hero 3/5, heroine 4.5/5, secondary characters 4/5, growth 4/5, real 4/5 I love Charlie. Her journey is so interesting that was really easy to understand and connect with her. I like Brendan but it wasn’t a smooth ride with him. I didn’t like the way he talked about his ex. So many interesting characters that I can see the foundation for an amazing long series.
- Freshness: There is nothing that says, WOW, so different, but the overall concept of the book felt fresh. Not something that I read everyday.
- Plot: believable 4/5, conflict 5/5, dialogue 3.5/5, ending 3/5, enjoyment 4/5, opening 3.5/5, pace 3/5, setting 5/5, subplots 5/5, twists 3/5 Great conflict and good dialogue. Ok beginning and ending. Very emotional. The end a bit rushed. I love the setting. I love the topics. Lots of depth into the background and topics explored. There is PTSD, abortion, raising kids alone.
- Romance: believable 3/5, chemistry 3.5/5, description 3/5, development 3.5/5, steam2.5/5 It was good, but it was a bit fast for all his insecurities. At the same, Charlie was so lovable, that is hard to find fault at that.
- Writing Style: This was great. The author wrote a story that grabbed my attention and played with my emotions. I cried, I laughed and I loved.
- Cover: art 2.5/5, title 4/5, subtitle 3/5, color-font 3.5/5, buy 2/5 I wouldn’t buy this book without reading the blurb. It an ok cover, but not the type that usually attracts me. I guess, the title was what grabbed me at first and the blurb at second.
- Characters: I had a bit of a hard time with Brendan. I understand from where his insecurities came from, but I still didn’t enjoy all the attack on his ex.
- Plot: Ending. It felt a bit rushed, specially after an entire book so well written. How Brendan acted right about the end wasn’t really great either.
This was my first book from the series, and I understood it completely as a stand-alone. But I certainly want to read the other books from the series. I have loved the setting. Windsor Falls is great and the community amazing.
I have truly enjoyed the writing style of Ms. O’Malley and I really look forward to read more from her.
- Action 2.5/5
- Angst 4/5
- Darkness 0/5
- Humor 3/5
- Romance 3.5/5
- Suspense/Mystery 2/5
- Would I recommend? Yes. If you like a bit of angst and depth into your romance, buckled up and enjoy the ride!
- Would I re-read this book? Yes.
- Would I re-read this series? I’m looking forward to it.
- Would I read more from the author? Yes. I love her style of writing and I have enjoyed the place of the series.
You MAY read this because you followed the series; you SHOULD read this because you like romance; you MUST read this if you enjoy reads with emotional side-effect!!!