I received this book for free from Chapter by Chapter Tours in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The Trail Rules by Melanie Hooyenga
Series: The Rules Series #2
Published by Left-Handed Mitten Publications on March 9, 2018
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary Romance
Format: kindle e-book
Source: Chapter by Chapter Tours
Buy on Amazon, Buy on Amazon AU, Buy on Amazon CA, Buy on Amazon UK, Buy on BAM!, Buy on !ndigo, Buy on Kobo
Also in this series: The Trail Rules
Junior year’s looking up for sixteen-year old Mike. Her new BFF isn’t a sadistic control freak, her boyfriend adores her, and she’s learning to bike in the mountains without decapitating herself on a tree.
When she meets a group of riders who welcome her into their pack, she feels like she’s finally found where she belongs. One particular rider—a boy with an amazing smile and an even more amazing ability to see what she’s truly capable of—gives her the confidence to go after what she wants: her own life with her own rules.
There’s only one problem—he’s not her boyfriend.
Just as things seem to be falling into place, her parents put on the pressure to figure out her future—one that doesn’t include riding. Mike soon realizes that having everything isn’t that great when she’s not the one choosing it. She needs to decide if she’s going to continue to be a follower or step out of the shadows and find her own trail.
Young Adult, Contemporary romance.
Book #2 of a series, even though it could be read as a stand-alone, I believe you would miss a lot about their stories without reading the first book.
- Addictiveness: I love the series. Is fast-paced and an easy read. I did in one sitting.
- Character: hero 3.5/5, heroine 4/5, secondary characters 5/5, growth 4/5, real 4/5 Even though I was unable to connect with them as I did in the first book, they are good. I liked Mike from the first book. No, she is not Callie, she was part of the bunnies and she needed a lesson in being a better person, but she did change, and being a teenager is not an easy task. Here she has shown a different side and a lot of growth through out the story. Mica is a good character. I like how they seem to be really a perfect match to each other. I had really liked Evan in the first book and I’m not certain if I have liked him here. I felt bad for him.
- Cover: art 4/5, title 5/5, subtitle 5/5, color-font 4/5, buy 4/5 This is a good cover art. It really tells a lot of the story. I would totally guess YA read. I would buy this book without reading the blurb.
- Freshness: I like it. This was my first read about cycling which brings a very unique theme to this story.
- Plot: believable 4/5, conflict 4/5, dialogue 4/5, ending 4/5, enjoyment 4/5, opening 4/5, pace 5/5, setting 5/5, subplots 5/5, twists 4/5 Good opening and ending. Interesting conflict and dialogues well written . Fast-paced with enough subplots to enhance the story. A few twists here and there, that makes this story believable and enjoyable.
- Writing Style: Great setting, good characters, interesting and unique plot. I like the author’s writing and would recommend it.
- Romance: believable 3/5, chemistry 3/5, description 3/5, development 3/5, steam 0/5 I like Mike’s story by I didn’t feel the romance. I felt more like the story was Mike’s journey than a love story. Yes, she and Mica had a lot in common, but I didn’t feel the chemistry. I think there were more parts about exploring Mike’s coming of age than Mike and Mica’s relationship.
I really like this book, but not as much as I liked the first one. I guess because I couldn’t connect with the characters like I did with Callie and Blake.
I’m really looking forward to this series, it has several interesting characters to be explored.
- Action 2/5
- Angst 4/5
- Darkness 0/5
- Humor 1/5
- Romance 3.5/5
- Suspense/Mystery 0/5
- Would I recommend? I would recommend this book for everyone that enjoy young adult romance.
- Would I re-read this book? Definitely!!!
- Would I re-read this series? Yes!!!
- Would I read more from the author? I am going to follow the series and other books from Ms. Hooyenga.
You MAY read this because you like young adult reads; you SHOULD read this because you followed the series ; you MUST read this because you want a unique story!!!
One (1) winner will receive a physical copy of The Trail Rules (US Only)
One (1) winner will receive a digital copy of The Trail Rules (INT)