I received this book for free from Social Butterfly PR in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Surface by Anna Brooks
Series: Guarding Her #1
on April 9, 2018
Genres: Romantic Suspense
Source: Social Butterfly PR
Buy on Amazon, Buy on Amazon AU, Buy on Amazon CA, Buy on Amazon UK, Buy on Google Play, Buy on Apple Books
She was off limits. Too young. The boss’s daughter. Forbidden.
I knew it all along, but it didn’t change the absolute possession I felt when it came to her… nothing would change how I felt about her.
So I did what I had to; I waited until the time was right to make her mine, only to find out there is one thing that could ruin it all.
Surface, an all new forbidden romance by Anna Brooks is AVAILABLE NOW!
- Addictiveness: Highly Addictive: It can be read in one sitting. The story kept me going and wanting more.
- Character: hero 4/5, heroine 4/5, secondary characters 4/5, growth 5/5, real 5/5 They are all easy to love, connect and understand. Royce was hot, but a bit too possessive. 🙂 He was 7 years older than Paisley and waited 7 years so she could grow up. Paisley of course could not grasp why Royce avoided her. She was very sweet and naïve. At the same time they were both strong characters. There is a lot of interesting alphas in this series. I can see a lot of material for the author to explore. There were a bit too many I guess, that sometimes I got confused.
- Cover: art 4.5/5, title 4.5/5, subtitle 5/5, color-font 5/5, buy 5/5 This cover is great. I love the use of black and white, the font and art work. The title is good, but I’m uncertain if it would have attracted me on its own. I would buy this book without reading the blurb.
- Freshness: You know, this has a plot that has been used a lot in romance novels lately. Forbidden love, older male waits for the virginal female. But this book has a lot more. It has some deep issues, like abuse and death. it also has a few twists that were not expected but very welcomed. Great one!
- Plot: believable 4/5, conflict 4/5, dialogue 4/5, ending 5/5, enjoyment 5/5, opening 4/5, pace 4/5, setting 5/5, subplots 5/5, twists 5/5 Good opening and wonderful ending. Interesting conflict and dialogues well written. Steady pace with enough subplots to enhance the story. A few unexpected twists that transformed the story in something bigger and better.
- Romance: believable 4/5, chemistry 5/5, description 5/5, development 5/5, steam 4/5 This is a love story. We know their attraction started early on, we can feel it. The hero waits for the heroine to grow up. The author developed this romance really well. Some good love scenes.
- Writing Style: Great characters, good plot, wonderful romance. What is not to like?
- I guess if there weren’t that many secondary characters. Sometimes I was a bit confused. I loved them, but maybe they didn’t need all to show up in the first book of the series.
- Also, I love an alpha male. I really like when they are possessive. I even understand that he couldn’t be celibate for 5 years. But he also shouldn’t expect her to be waiting for him while he played the field. I don’t know, that felt a bit chauvinistic.
This was a great beginning for a promising new series. I can’t wait to read what comes next. So many alpha males to choose from.
29.5/35 STARS – 4 STARS (4 stars between 28 and 31 stars)
Addictiveness: 4 Character: 4 Cover: 4.5 Freshness: 4 Plot: 4.5 Romance: 4.5 Writing Style: 4
- Action 3/5
- Angst 3/5
- Darkness 0/5
- Humor 0/5
- Romance 5/5
- Suspense/Mystery 2/5
- Would I recommend? I would recommend this book for everyone that enjoys forbidden love stories.
- Would I re-read this book?Yes
- Would I re-read this series? I’m looking forward to it.
- Would I read more from the author? Yes!
You MAY read this because you follow the author; you should read this because you like the spin-off series; you MUST read this because it has a beautiful romance!!!