I received this book for free from Give Me Books Promotions in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The Trade by Elizabeth Knox
Series: The Clans #2
Published by Knox Publishing on May 5, 2018
Cover Design: CT Cover Creations
Genres: Romantic Suspense
Source: Give Me Books Promotions
Buy on Amazon, Buy on Audible, Buy on eXtasy Books, Buy on Harlequin
When I was assigned the job to find out who exactly orchestrated the hit on
Mariana Petran, I jumped at the opportunity. To attack the queen of the clans
is an attack against us all. I was to find the man who ordered it – and I did.
I also found myself a feisty redhead; something I considered a cherry on top of
the sundae as I headed to her hometown to destroy the man responsible for it
So, there I was, delivering a bloody and violent end to the scum that betrayed
us when the door opens, and in walks my feisty redhead; Natasha.
I came home from a wild night out with the girls and found my uncle bloodied
and bruised, with a gun held to the back of his head. The man holding the gun –
my boyfriend, Anton.
I never thought that I would be begging for his life – doing anything that I
could to save him. But he’s my family. He’s the only link I have left to my
Anton didn’t tell me he was in the Romanian Mob – but I never confessed I was
the niece of a head clan member, or anything about my father, but we’ll get to
Anton named his price. I didn’t understand why, what he could possibly find
valuable with taking the niece of Clan Constantin – especially when he already
I accepted the terms, the trade. I’d do anything to save my uncle, even if that
meant sacrificing myself. Anton promised me that he wouldn’t kill my uncle,
like a dumb girl I assumed that meant my uncle would live.
Anton may not have pulled the trigger, but make no mistake – he killed my
The loving man I’d learned to care about over the past few weeks turned into
something feral – I didn’t even know the man I was falling in love with.
I waited for my father, and prayed he would come for me.
They didn’t even know the girl they were taking.
They were clueless.
99c for release day ONLY!
Book #2 of a series, but I believe it can be read as a stand-alone. I haven’t read the first book of the series, and I understood everything.
- Addictiveness: Highly addictive. This was a very fast read. It was fast-paced with enough suspense to keep me on the edge of my seat.
- Character: hero 4/5, heroine 4.5/5, secondary characters 4/5, growth 5/5, real 4/5 Natasha is a kick-ass heroine. She is strong and ready to fight for her beliefs. She has grown up with a very harsh father. After leaving home she went through an abusive relationship. She didn’t know her self-worth until her uncle saved her. As she was falling in love again, she promises herself that she won’t let another man walk all over her. I like almost everything about her, my only complain would be her leaving her job behind. Anton is sex in a stick. He is very alpha and a bit mysterious. He doesn’t really know how to mix business with pleasure and when both sides of his life collides he becomes a bit of a jerk. At the same time his willingness to change, so he won’t loose Natasha is perfect. The characters were well constructed, specially for a novella size book. They were easy to like, connect and understand.
- Cover: art 5/5, title 5/5, subtitle 5/5, color-font 5/5, buy 5/5 I’m obsessed with book covers. I love to find snippets of the stories within the art. I love this one. After you read the book you know you are looking at Natasha here. Even the posture of the woman, a bit confrontational seems like Natasha. The title is perfect and the font/colors enhances the overall impact of the cover. I would buy this book without reading the blurb.
- Freshness: This feels fresh, really unique. The author managed to create an original plot. There is also so many twists and turn in the story that the unexpected is always happening.
- Plot: believable 4/5, conflict 5/5, dialogue 5/5, ending 3.5/5, enjoyment 4/5, opening 5/5, pace 5/5, setting 5/5, subplots 3/5, twists 5/5 Amazing opening and ok ending. Great conflict and amazing dialogues. Fast-paced with a lot of angst that gives the book a lot of intensity. Very enjoyable story. I love how the plot kept me guessing until the end.
- Romance: believable 5/5, chemistry 5/5, description 5/5, development 5/5, steam 4/5 O.M.G! What a hot couple. Really, they were explosive. Their scenes were always full of intensity and the heat was above charts. Their first scene on the club… yeah, fanning myself.
- Writing Style: Great characters, original plot, good love story with lots of smut!
- Plot: I just think the book ended with a lot of things still to be solved. Since this is a series, I guess we will only get some answers reading the rest of the series.
My first read by the author, but definitely not my last. In fact, I’m ready to buy the first book of this series now, so I can read this in order.
31/35 STARS – 4 STARS ( 4 stars between 28 and 31 stars)
Addictiveness: 4.5 Character: 4.5 Cover: 5 Freshness: 4.5 Plot: 3.5 Romance: 4.5 Writing Style: 4.5
- Action 5/5
- Angst 3.5/5
- Darkness 1/5
- Humor 0/5
- Romance 5/5
- Suspense/Mystery 4/5
- Would I recommend? Yes.
- Would I re-read this book? YES!
- Would I re-read this series? Yes, I’m going to.
- Would I read more from the author? Yes, I’m looking forward to it.
You MAY read this because you like the author; you SHOULD read this because you followed the series; you MUST read this is sexy and suspenseful!!!