I received this book for free from Author's Pal in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.How to Woo a Wallflower by Christy Carlyle
Series: Romancing the Rules #3
Published by Avon Impulse on November 14, 2017
Genres: historical romance
Format: kindle e-book
Source: Author's Pal
Buy on Amazon, Buy on Amazon AU, Buy on Amazon CA, Buy on Amazon UK
An Unconventional Wallflower…
Clarissa Ruthven was born to be a proper lady, but she’s never wanted to live up to the expectations her late father set. Determined to use her inheritance to help the less fortunate women of London, she’s devastated to learn that she won’t be inheriting anything until she marries, a fate she has no interest in. Unwilling to let go of her plans, Clary works at Ruthven Publishing for Gabriel Adamson, a man who’s always hated her. She’s always returned the feeling, but as she begins to turn her family’s publishing company upside down, she finds herself unable to forget her handsome boss.
Never Follows the Rules…
Gabriel Adamson believes in order. He certainly doesn’t believe Clary should be sticking her nose in the publishing company, and she definitely has no business invading his every thought. But Gabe soon finds he can’t resist Clary’s sense of freedom or her passionate kisses and he starts to crave everything she’s willing to give him.
Especially When It Comes to Love…
When Gabe’s dark past comes back to haunt him, he’ll do anything to make sure that Clary isn’t hurt…even if it means giving up the only woman he’s ever loved.
- Cover: It is a good cover. This is Clarissa in a particular dress she wears for a ball. In fact, this is the dress she was wearing when at the couple’s first kiss.
- Plot: The story has good pace, it kept me guessing and I’ve ended wanting more. The writing style is cohesive, with everything relevant to the story and no weak points.
- Characters: They are easy to like, connect and understand. Clarissa is an amazing characters. She is a kick-ass heroine! Gabriel is the mysterious type, with a past he was running from.
- Heat: The couple has chemistry together. Coming from enemies to lovers. Their attraction is undeniable and the smut is pertinent to the story.
- Addictiveness: This is an easy read with an interesting plot that kept me reading in the middle of the night.
- Freshness: There is nothing new here. No big surprise or twist that I wasn’t expecting. I love a well written romance, and the lack of originality didn’t bother me.
This is the turn of the 20th century and Clarissa is a woman fighting to be independent. She doesn’t want to marry so she can get a dowry. She wants to work and fight for causes for young girls. She is a kick-ass heroine. She is a breath of fresh air.
The couple’s road is not easy. When we think they are going to have their HEA, shadows from Gabriel’s past comes to spoil the fun.
The story is believable and their love takes time, is not instantaneous.
You MAY read this because you followed the series; you SHOULd read this because you like historical; you MUST read this for an amazing kick-ass heroine!!!
- $30 Amazon Gift Card + Signed copies of Rules for a Rogue and A Study in Scoundrel – US shipping ONLY!