I received this book for free from YA Bound Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Moonchild by Kate L. Mary
on June 21, 2016
Genres: Speculative Fiction, Young Adult
Source: YA Bound Book Tours
Buy on Amazon
In a world fueled by greed and corruption, where airships rule the skies and coal mines have been turned into prisons, Scarlett Moon has one goal: Survive. Being tough and looking out for herself is the only way to stay alive, but when her best friend, Rory, is arrested and returned to the mines, all of Scarlett’s carefully built walls threaten to crumble.
After being rescued by an airship full of pirates, led by the sexy and irresistible Asher Kimura, Scarlett finds herself surrounded by cons and fugitives, and thrust into the middle of a coal-smuggling business. When they take her to Columbus, the one place she never wanted to set foot in again, she wants nothing more than to get away. And her discomfort only grows as she becomes increasingly drawn to Asher.
But everything changes when she discovers there may be a way to rescue Rory. Enlisting the pirates' help, Scarlett sets out on a mission to save her friend, praying that her overwhelming attraction to Asher doesn’t mean the end to her freedom—in more ways than one.
Kate L. Mary
Amazing world building; fantastic plot; great first book of a series!
- Plot – The plot of the book is crazy good. The author is very creative and wrote this bleak world to perfection that we felt in our bones how bad it was. The world building is beyond good, is something that you could never imagine on your own. The book kept me guessing until the end and I’m definitely going to read the next one. This was an action-packed, fast-paced read.
- Characters – I’ve really loved Asher. He was so real; easy to love, connect and relate. He has depth and I know he will keep growing in future books. Several amazing secondary characters. Really, I can see a long future for this series.
- Freshness- OMG! Ms. Mary is brilliant! Everything about this book feels new, something I haven’t read before. This really blew my mind.
- Addictiveness – Yes. This is the type of book that you can’t put down. It’s something that stays on your mind even after you have finished reading. Really looking forward to what comes next.
- I have mixed feelings about Scarlett. Yes, she was a loyal friend but she was so immature and so stuck on being strong that she really irritated me sometimes. I understood that she needed to portray this strong woman, but why she was so cold I didn’t get it. It was hard for me to connect with her. I know she will probably mature during the series, she has a lot of room to grow.
You MAY read this because you enjoy the author’s work; you SHOULD read this because you like speculative fiction; you MUST read this to be amazed with the best world building ever!!!