I received this book for free from Entangled Publishing, NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.When a Lady Deceives by Tara Kingston
Series: Her Majesty's Most Secret Service
Published by Entangled: Select Historical on August 22, 2016
Genres: historical romance
Source: Entangled Publishing, NetGalley
Buy on Amazon, Buy on Amazon AU
London, 1890. In Victorian London, reporter Jennie Quinn employs deception as a weapon. Going undercover to seek justice for a murdered informant, she’s drawn into a powerful criminal’s seductive game of cat and mouse. Enigmatic former lawman Matthew Colton is as dangerous as he is clever, but the passion in his kiss is too tempting to resist. She aches to trust him, but she will not abandon her quest for the truth.
Colton is a man with secrets of his own. Thirsting for vengeance, the disgraced Scotland Yard detective has infiltrated the criminal world he’s vowed to destroy. Jennie intrigues him, even as she breaks down the barriers around his heart. He yearns to uncover her secrets—in and out of his bed. Driven to shield her, he’ll risk everything to protect the woman whose love heals his soul.
Also by this author: Lady Evelyn’s Highland Protector
When a Lady Deceives
Her Majesty’s Most Secret Service #1
First book in a promising new series!
- Cover – Really beautiful! Catching colors with a sensual couple very fitting for a Victorian book.
- Plot- This was a good plot. Full of mystery and suspense, this book kept me guessing and wanting more until the end. The author written style was very cohesive without any weak points.
- Characters- Colton is a mouth-watering hero. A bit dark and dangerous, he was really protective and bossy. On the other hand, Jennie was the perfect match for him, because she didn’t let him get past with much. A bit reckless in her quest for vengeance she is a good heroine for such suspenseful novel.
- Heat/Romance- I like how the romantic aspect of the story was portrayed by the author. Jennie is different for a woman of that time and Colton totally understood her, even though he was the protective type, he accepted her quest. Their chemistry was also great.
- Freshness- There is a feeling of new in this historical romance. The female character has been portray very different than most women of that time are usually represented. I like this unusual aspect.
- Addictiveness- This was an easy book to read and it was had to let go.
- Plot – I had some trouble with the pace. It was a bit slow and then really fast. I also found a bit repetitive.
You MAY buy this book because you enjoy a good romance, you SHOULD buy this book because you like historical reads, you MUST read this book if you are ready for a fantastic new series to follow!!!