I received this book for free from YA Bound Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The Funeral Flower by Michelle Jester
Published by RopeSwing Press on June 20, 2017
Genres: New Adult, Contemporary
Format: kindle e-book
Source: YA Bound Book Tours
Buy on Amazon, Buy on Amazon AU, Buy on Amazon CA, Buy on Amazon UK
Devastated by the death of her grandfather, six-year-old Kelly Rodgers barely manages to cope with the profound loss. Already facing issues at school, she finds herself spiraling deeper into despair, when a fateful interaction through the fence in her backyard gives her hope. In the years following, Kelly realizes that life’s tragedies can be dealt with through acceptance; until another series of agonizing events leaves her heart in pieces.
Finding herself thrown into new surroundings, Kelly embraces her life and resolves to never fall in love. That decision is easy to keep until her junior year when she is drawn by an unavoidable attraction to the new guy, tormented James Delaney. The moment he looks up at her and smiles, her body betrays her. And he notices. She is determined to avoid him, but soon Kelly is forced to face the inevitable truth: She doesn’t want to avoid James... and he won’t let her.
Even though tragedy always follows love.
Lastly, life comes with sorrow, hope comes with discouragement, and love with tragedy, but even still, we can find the good somewhere in between. by Kelly
Coming-of-age; romance; life journey!!!
This is one of my all-over-the-place review. That is why I’m writing my thoughts first, and then I will analyze each topic. Because doesn’t matter what my analyze says, I know I will rate it 5 stars. I try to be fair in each review and I try to follow a thought process that I have created for myself. But, when a book grabs me, touches me and plays with my emotions, it doesn’t really matter my thought out process; what it matters is that this story will be stuck in my mind for a very long time. I will be recommending to all my friends and I will be talking about it.
I will start with a confession. When I first saw this book, it didn’t grab my attention. It took me a while to decided that I wanted to read it. In fact, I’ve only chosen to read this one, because I love the cover. Somehow, this girl’s eyes got stuck in my mind. I’m so glad that I’ve chosen to read this! I love romance and I’m really fond of smut, so I only choose YA reads from authors that I have read before and I’ve enjoyed. Book tours are always how I meet new-to-me authors and why I gave this one a chance. Have I mentioned how much I love book tours? They bring out my daring side, my jump-into-the-obscure part, and how I usually find gems like this one!!!
Oh, this is my first book by the author, but I’m already crazy to read her next one. She gives a little taste after the end of the story and I’m already hooked!
This has a beautiful romance inside, but is not a love story. This book is the life’s journey of a young woman and it starts when she was 5 years old.
This is not an easy read. The author, very lightly touches many deep subjects, and while reading this, it doesn’t feel light. It plays with emotions and you feel too much.
This is real!!!!
It could be my story, or my daughter’s or my mom’s or my grandma’s or any woman out there. In fact, I believe at least 50 % of the women have gone through at least one of the things this girl has gone through.
There is no easy path in this book, each character portrayed here has had a rough path. Some, an extremely rough one.
This is Kelly’s story, but all characters are important and their journey also adds to the puzzle that is Kelly. Each of them has given a bigger meaning to Kelly’s road.
I have loved and hated all characters for a moment or two while reading this. Could this feel any more real?
What I can say is that this book, has moved me. I’ve felt angst, joy, sadness, pain and relief. I’ve cried and laughed along with Kelly. I was also totally surprised at the end. I’m not certain if this was my book, this would have been my ending. But this wasn’t mine, it was Kelly’s and it was the perfect choice for her.
- Cover: I love this cover! The choice of one eye and the power conveyed with it is astounding. She is telling so much in this cover, I knew this wasn’t going to be an easy read. I could feel her pain. Amazing!!! The title, threw me off for a bit, but it makes sense after I read the book.
- Plot: The author takes her time writing this story. She has so much to tell, that she doesn’t rush it. This is a coming-of-age tale, that really pass through every moment that marked this girls journey. It is not rushed and is very through. The epilogue is a MUST. It really ties everything together. A huge twist at the end. I was certain her path was with one guy and it ended being with another.
- Characters: I love them. For a moment or another I was a bit mad with each of them, but this is life. They are real!!!
- Freshness: This feels totally new and fresh to me. Very unique!!!
- Addictiveness: I couldn’t let go of this book. Not an easy read, but a thrilling journey.
- Plot: I have to mention a few things here. There is a bit of preaching for a moment during the book. It didn’t spoil my journey, but it might for some. There is also the matter that these characters go through so much and they are so young. If you really think about it, they feel more mature than their age. At the same time, there is a lot of teen clichés here.
You MAY read this because you enjoy coming-of-age stories; you SHOULD read this because you like love stories; you MUST read this if you are looking for a FULL EXPERIENCE!!!