I received this book for free from Barclay Publicity in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Narrator: Lacey Gilleran
Series: Gamer Boy #1
on 12 February, 2018
Format: audiobook, print, Digital
Genres: New Adult, Contemporary Romance
Length: 5 hours and 42 minutes
Source: Barclay Publicity
Buy on Amazon, Buy on IBooks, Buy on Audible
The last thing Morgan Lawson is looking for when attending Comic-Con is love. But even prior to exchanging first words, Morgan is drawn to Dex, a drop-dead sexy gamer boy who lives and breathes video games. Before she realizes it, Morgan finds herself caught up in all things Dex.
Dex Roberts knows from the moment he first sees Morgan, he wants more. He falls hard and fast but isn’t surprised when his job as a professional video gamer takes a toll on their relationship.
Once Morgan decides what truly makes her happy, there’s no time to waste. But without warning, life threatens to destroy what both Morgan and Dex want most... each other.
I’m so excited for you to join us for the review tour for the audiobook of LEVEL ME UP by Lauren Helms. Follow along with the tour for reviews, plus enter to win a $25 Amazon gift card!
Can the gamer win the girl in LEVEL ME UP by Lauren Helms? Dex Roberts falls hard and fast for Morgan Lawson, but the last thing Morgan is looking for while attending Comic-Con, is love. Fans of R.S. Grey and Gaming the System series by Brenna Aubrey will love this nerdy and flirty story about what happens when a sweet and sexy pro gamer meets the girl-next-door. Now available on audiobook!
New Adult, Contemporary Romance, with dual-POV.
First book in the Gamer Boy series.
Performance : I have mixed feelings about this. Mostly because I prefer when we have dual-narrator. I always find a lack of emotions when I got a woman narrating as a man. One thing, are quotations in between speeches, other is a whole chapter of this.
ability of changing voices: 4/5
- Addictiveness: This books begins really strong and hooked me in from almost the first chapter. I usually listen to audiobooks when working out or working around my house. This one, I felt a need to finish soon.
- Character: hero 4.5/5, heroine 2.5/5, secondary characters 4/5, growth 3.5/5, real 4/5 I’m a bit on the fence here. I really adored Dex, the boy was so patient, cute and sweet. I’m interested to knowing more from several secondary characters. Most of them were easy to like, connect and understand.
- Cover: art 3/5, title 5/5, color-font 4/5, buy 4/5 Yes, I’m a cover slut. I buy books because of the cover without reading the blurb. I would buy this one because of the catchy title. I don’t love the art, but is not bad. I can see Morgan being happier looking at Dex in this art. The colors and font are ok.
- Freshness: I like the idea of exploring the gaming world. I have three teen, one who loves video games and it was very interesting to learn more about this world.
- Plot: believable 4/5, conflict 2/5, dialogue 3.5/5, ending 2.5/5, enjoyment 4/5, opening 5/5, pace 4/5, setting 4/5, subplots 3/5, twists 4/5 Amazing opening and not so good ending. It felt rushed and not very satisfying. I felt like Dex deserved an explanation. Morgan needed to grovel a bit . Not so good conflict and good dialogue. Great pace and good setting. Great foundation for a series. Good subplots with an amazing twist closer to the end. I’ve enjoyed the story and was invested in the group . The book kept me guessing and I’ve ended wanting more.
- Romance: believable 4/5, chemistry 4/5, description 4/5, development 3/5, steam 1.5/5 This is a cute romance. The couple’s meeting was sweet and the story portrays them as being very young. If feels almost young adult. Their chemistry was good and their romance believable.
- Writing Style: Good writing! Good foundation for a series, with an interesting group of friends and a not very explored theme. The writing feels between young adult and new adult. The author gave a killer beginning to the story that hooks the reader into the gaming world. Looking forward to read more.
- Character: I didn’t like the heroine much. She started well, but suddenly become someone who I was like: WHAT? She was so immature that I felt like I was reading a young adult novel instead of people out of college. Yes, her problems with her father were real, but didn’t justify all that. Her problems didn’t feel possible for real life. It really felt like her hung-ups were of a 15 or 16-year-old girl. Yes, she was not all bad, in fact I liked her sometimes, but she whined too much and I felt like throwing my phone on the floor a few times.
- Plot: The ending felt rushed and missing something. An apologetic speech should have made it into the book. If felt unresolved.
My first book from the author that has me looking forward to read more. I can’t wait for Gia/Simon; Bernie/Wade’s books.
26.5/35 STARS = 3.5 STARS (between 24.5 stars and 27.5 stars)
Addictiveness: 4 Character: 3.5 Cover: 3.5 Freshness: 4 Plot: 3.5 Romance: 4 Writing Style: 4
- Action 1.5/5
- Angst 2.5/5
- Darkness 0/5
- Humor 3/5
- Romance 4.5/5
- Suspense/Mystery 0/5
- Would I recommend? I would recommend this book for everyone that enjoys a sweet romance.
- Would I re-read this book? Yes.
- Would I re-read this series? Sure.
- Would I read more from the author? Yes, I’m looking forward to it.
You MAY read this because you enjoy new adult reads; you SHOULD read this because you like sweet romances; you MUST read this for a promising new series with a great group of friends.
LEVEL ME UP Chapter One
Enter to win a $25 Amazon Gift Card!