I received this book for free from Pure Textuality PR in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The Second Husband by Alex H. Singh
on April 16, 2018
Cover Design: Jennifer Munswami
Genres: Romantic Suspense, Mystery
Source: Pure Textuality PR
Buy on Amazon
Second is coming…
After an accident robs him of his memories, Johana’s husband Brandon is left little more than a stranger to her and their three children. Unsure of how to navigate their new life, they try to make the best of a complicated situation. Although he’s no longer the man she married, the more time she spends with Brandon, she find herself falling in love with the man he’s become. Brandon struggles to remember who he was before the accident, only to be further confused by flashes of memory from another life. A life where he’s known by a name he’s never heard before–Second.
Johana and Brandon are on the hunt for answers. Every stone turned over simply yields more questions. With their family caught in the middle of an ever-deepening mystery, they quickly realize that Second may be the key to unraveling the truth.
- Addictiveness: Medium-low addictiveness. The beginning was a bit slow, but after that it really picked it up and kept me most time on the edge of my seat.
- Character: hero 4/5, heroine 3.5/5, secondary characters 3/5, growth 3/5, real 3/5 It took me a while to connect with them. But after they started to really be developed I fell in love with Brandon the second. It was all new to him, so the reader was able to feel him falling in love and entering this journey with a family he doesn’t know anything about. Johana was also a good character, but Brandon self-discovery was what carried this story to me.
- Cover: art 5/5, title 5/5, subtitle 5/5, color-font 5/5, buy 5/5 I’m obsessed with covers and this one is PERFECT! I love the art, the colors and the subtitle “a second chance with the wrong husband” was a like a magnetic for me. I would definitely buy this book without reading the blurb.
- Freshness: This feels fresh and unique.
- Plot: believable 3/5, conflict 3.5/5, dialogue 3/5, ending 54/5, enjoyment 3.5/5, opening 2.5/5, pace 3/5, setting 3/5, subplots 4/5, twists 3/5 Slow opening and good ending. Interesting conflict and some good dialogues. Choppy pace with a couple of good subplots. A few unexpected twists here and there, that makes this story enjoyable. This was full of mystery and it really kept me guessing until the end. The overall concept of the story was great, it felt very original.
- Romance: believable 3/5, chemistry 3/5, description 3/5, development 4/5, steam 2/5 It feels a bit slow burning, which is very fitting. Brandon the second is dreamy and a good fit for a book-boyfriend.
- Writing Style: The overall concept is great. Very creative, with good character development, interesting romance and an ok plot.
- Plot: It was a bit confusing. The pace was choppy which didn’t help. The ideas were great, but not always they were well executed.
I haven’t read anything from the author before. But this feels like a new genre for him. If this is true, I’m certain he will only improve. With such a great imagination, I expect great things from him in the future.
P.S: Jennifer Munswami (the illustrator) your work here was FABULOUS!!! You had me at hello!!! This was one of the best covers that I’ve seen in 2018!
24/35 STARS – 3 STARS (3 stars between 21 and 24 stars)
Addictiveness: 3 Character: 3.5 Cover: 5 Freshness: 4 Plot: 2.5 Romance: 3 Writing Style: 3
- Action 4/5
- Angst 2/5
- Darkness 0/5
- Humor 0/5
- Romance 5/5
- Suspense/Mystery 5/5
- Would I recommend? I would recommend this book for everyone that is looking for something different.
- Would I re-read this book? Maybe another edition.
- Would I re-read this series? This is a stand-alone. But if it became a series I would read it.
- Would I read more from the author? Yes, I will give him a try to see where his creativity takes him.
You MAY read this because you like the author; you SHOULD read this because you are looking for a good hero; you MUST read this because is ONE-OF-A-KIND!!!