I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Series: Protect #1
on October 28, 2017
Format: kindle e-book
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Buy on Amazon
His best friend’s little sister = his kryptonite.
Cleo’s intentions were good – she just needed money to help out a friend. Who knew that she’d soon have the most ruthless drug lord in the area out to kill her?
Cleo’s brother is a cop who is going to clear up this mess for her – or try to. But in the meantime, he literally hand-delivers Cleo to his best friend Dallas for safekeeping.
Dallas is a big, tough, ex-Navy SEAL - he’s handled way harder jobs than this babysitting gig. So what if he’s always been wildly attracted to his best friend’s little sister?
He can control this.
But what he really wants to do, is control her…
Protect Her is a complete standalone book, and a part of the Protect Series.
WARNING: This is going to be an all-over-the-place kind of review!
Cleo wants to help her best friend that needs money to renew her visa situation, but doesn’t want to ask her brother, that is a cop, for help. So she decides to ask an old friend from high school, that now is a drug dealer, if he could lend her the money. While in the wrong part of town, a cop find their interaction unusual and as he recognizes Cleo he decides to drive her home. Afraid for her drug dealer friend, Cleo takes home with her, his bag full of drugs.
Two days later, her drug dealer friend has been viciously murder, her brother is trying to protect her from the drug lord, but Cleo decides that she doesn’t want to endanger her brother’s life so she will deal with the drug lord herself.
Dallas, an ex-Navy Seal, that has left Navy after a mistake that costs him his relationship, is now body-guard to the rich and famous. He is also, Cleo’s brother best friend. When his best friend drops his sister at his home so he could babysit her, he can’t say no. He has known Cleo for a long time but has last seen her two years ago. He has always felt like Cleo is:
Entitled and bitchy with a big old chip on her shoulder. by Dallas
From this moment on, lots of action happens, and in the midst of all that violence and mistakes of Cleo, Dallas decides he can’t resist her anymore.
Will they have a happy ending, or will their mistakes become too much to handle?
- Cover: Yes! This is a mouth-watering cover. The guy is sexy hot, that makes you feel protected. He even has a “trust” tattoo in his body. I took out one star from this cover because the woman has an engagement or wedding band that doesn’t make any sense in the story. I know, I’m picky!
- Heat: Well, there is a good scene in the story, even though I didn’t really feel their connection.
- Freshness: I try to be fair in my reviews and I believe the author’s overall idea from this book was really good. The development of the idea was where the problems started for me.
- Plot: This plot didn’t work for me at all. I don’t mind instalove but it needs to come with a believable story. Nothing made sense in this one. I love smut, but I couldn’t even concentrate on the smut because there was no chemistry, there was no premise to their sudden attraction.
- Characters: I can enjoy a lukewarm plot, if the characters are amazing. But really one of my big NOs are too-stupid-to-exist female characters. Cleo stupidity was beyond anything I can comprehend.
- Addictiveness: This was a really hard read for me. For a moment there, I thought about not finishing the book, but I always read my books until the end. I’ve skipped the Cleo parts that annoyed me more, and persevere.
I know, this was a confusing review. But that is how I felt after reading the book. Conflicting emotions.
Like I have mentioned above the ideas for the plot seems like an interesting one.
I believe that creativity and unique ideas are one of the most important steps for an author and Ms. Fischer had that.
So, even though this book wasn’t really my cup of tea, I believe I will give the author another try.