I received this book for free from Bewitching Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Taken by a Highland Laird by Sky Purington
Series: The MacLomain Series: A New Beginning #2
on December 18, 2017
Cover Design: Tara West
Genres: Time Travel, Romantic Fantasy
Format: kindle e-book
Source: Bewitching Book Tours
Buy on Amazon, Buy on Amazon AU, Buy on Amazon UK
The last thing Lindsay expects when she visits Milly’s home in New Hampshire is to be thrust back in time to thirteenth century Scotland days before the Battle of Stirling Bridge. Worse yet, captured by the English. Using her wits and ability to wrap men around her little finger, she survives long enough to be rescued by a band of Scotsmen. One of them, a rigid Highland chieftain determined to protect his country, rarely lets her out of his sight. A man, as it turns out, who is immune to her allure…or so it seems.
From the moment Clan MacLomain decides to save Scotland’s history, Laird Conall Hamilton knows he needs to be part of it. What he does not foresee is a beautiful twenty-first century actress crossing his path. More so, that they end up caught in an obligatory kiss that sparks an infamous battle. A kiss, as Fate would have it, that takes them on an adventure through time to both the Action at Earnside Skirmish and the Action at Happrew.
Joining first Sir William Wallace then King Robert the Bruce, Conall and Lindsay end up on a journey that will leave neither unscathed. Though determined to keep each other at arm’s length, desire simmers, reeling them ever closer. Inner demons are faced as they navigate a powerful connection neither saw coming. A bond so intense and passionate that it might very well help them defeat the enemy and save a nation.
Also by this author: Rise Of A Viking
- Addictiveness: This was great! I couldn’t let go. It grabbed me and I kept on reading into the middle of the night. Thanks to my wonderful vacation!
- Character: heroine 5/5, hero 4/5, secondary characters 4/5, growth 4/5, real 4/5 Lindsay is a great heroine. Conall is good too, even though I felt like knocking him up a few times. The author takes her time with the characters and give them depth. They are easy to love and connect.
- Cover: art 4.5/5, title 5/5, subtitle 5/5, color/font 4/5, buy 4/5 I would buy this book without reading the blurb. The art work is great and the title/subtitle adds to the appeal. I love the colors and that we see a couple at the cover. Lately I’ve found so many books with only a guy on the cover. It’s refreshing!!!
- Freshness: I like time traveling. It always feels different and unique.
- Plot: believable 3/5, conflict 3/5, dialogue 4/5, ending 5/5, enjoyment 4/5, opening 3.5/5, pace 4/5, setting 4/5, subplots 4/5, twists 3/5 Great conflict and good dialogue. Love the ending. The author has a way with words. She mixed real history with fiction brilliantly. I love the little glimpses of history in the midst of a romance.
- Romance: believable 4.5/5, chemistry 4.5/5, description 4/5, development 4/5, steam4.5/5 Great love story. Is sexy and romantic at the same time. I love that we can feel their attraction from the beginning even though Conall totally pretended to dislike here.
- Writing Style: Great writing. The author creates amazing characters and a story to back them up. There are not loopholes in it, and the words flow beautifully.
- I should have read the rest of the series first. I believe I had to re-read a few parts because I didn’t have previous knowledge of them.
This was my first book from the author, but it won’t be my last. I have enjoyed her writing style and how the story was weaved. In fact, I have now on my list to read the other books from the series. So many amazing characters that I know I would love to know more.
- Action 3/5
- Angst 3/5
- Darkness 0/5
- Humor 3/5
- Romance 4.5/5
- Suspense/Mystery 2/5
- Would I recommend? Yes. If you are looking for something different but with depth, this is it!
- Would I re-read this book? Yes.
- Would I re-read this series? I’m looking forward to it.
- Would I read more from the author? Yes. I love her style of writing and I’m looking forward for more from her.
You MAY read this because you like the author; you SHOULD read this because you have followed the series; you MUST read this for amazing characters and love story!!!
“I’ll be,” Lindsay murmured as she continued to eye him with a look he knew all too well by now. She thought she had found a way to get closer to him. Therefore, a means to eventually get him to do anything she wanted.
Almost as if she followed his thoughts, she cocked her head. “You don’t like that do you, Conall?” Her lashes dropped a scant fraction as she seemed to see right through him. “You don’t want to get too personal because it might allow me too close.” The corner of her lip curled up slowly, and her knowing eyes sparkled with newfound power. “Why do I get the feeling it’s already too late?”
He frowned. “Too late for what?”
“Too late for you to stop wanting me,” she whispered, her large sultry eyes shimmering in the torchlight. “Because you do, don’t you, Conall?”
Aye. He did. With everything in him.
Like always, it was nearly impossible to pull his eyes from hers, but he did. As it was every time, he had to fight to keep from looking at her again. Gazing at the lass muddled his mind, and right now it needed to stay level. More than that, he had to remember she was not the lass for him.
He would never survive her.
She inhaled deeply and murmured to herself. Words he could hear with his superior hearing. Words that caught him off-guard. Against his better judgement, he looked her way again. “What do you mean you dinnae understand why I’m different than the rest?” He frowned. “Explain, lass.”
“Oh, I think you know.” She stood, her movements fluid and seductive as she sauntered his way. “I think you very well know.”
Though the dress given to her at the camp was too big for her, it didn’t hide her full breasts or her perfect hourglass figure. She was built for a man’s hands and hell if she didn’t know it as she sat beside him, close enough that their shoulders touched. Her slender hand slid onto his thigh dangerously close to his eager cock. If he didn’t know better, he would say she knew exactly what state she had him in.
“You are wearing the ring again,” he managed, irritated by his thickening voice, by the stark lust she provoked.
“I am,” she concurred as her hand slid a fraction closer to his manhood. “Do you know why?”
“Aye.” Conall put his hand over hers and shook his head. “But we will find another way out of here.”
Any way but how they got here, to begin with.
“You enjoyed that kiss, Laird Hamilton,” she murmured, her voice soft and seductive. “Don’t tell me you didn’t.”
He more than enjoyed it. But it was a kiss that could not be repeated. Yet as she intended, his eyes drifted to her lips. When they did, the tip of her dainty pink tongue slipped out and ran along her plush lower lip. He didn’t realize he had clenched his hand around hers until she jerked ever-so-slightly. When she did, he pulled away only for her to try to stop him which, as it turned out, conveniently put her hand right alongside his erection.
He clenched his jaw and remained very still as her eyes dropped and her breath caught.
If he had any willpower left, he would push her hand away. He would remind her that unlike most men, he did not want her. Yet she was already blatantly admiring proof that said otherwise. A maneuver he knew she did on purpose to reel him ever closer. Regrettably, it was working because he had not moved an inch.
He tried to focus on the hiss of the torches, even the chill of the stone at his back, but all he could see was her hand. How small and delicate it appeared beside the heavy ridge of his cock straining against his breeches.
“Well, well,” she said softly, her voice raspy, sensual and knowing. “It seems you’re stiff in more ways than one, Laird Hamilton.”