I received this book for free from Barclay Publicity in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Beneath by Maureen A. Miller
Series: Beneath #1
Published by Self-published on March 26, 2018
Genres: Young Adult, Romantic Fantasy, Adventure
Source: Barclay Publicity
Buy on Amazon, Buy on Amazon AU, Buy on Amazon CA, Buy on Amazon UK
An overnight fishing trip on the Atlantic Ocean…
It was Stella Gullaksen’s final break before starting her freshman year at college. Joining her best friend, Jill, and Jill's family aboard the STARKISSED, Stella wakes to a violent storm that capsizes the boat over a hundred miles off the New Jersey shore.
As the waves haul her under Stella knows that she is going to die. Instead, an unusual current drags her deep into the underwater canyons of the Atlantic Ocean. Powerless against the raging waters, she is suddenly sucked into a ventilated cave. One by one, Jill and her family also emerge in the sunken cavern.
With only a faulty diving flashlight to keep oblivion at bay Stella and her best friend's brother, Colin, search the cave in hope of finding a way back to the surface. What they discover, however, is that they are not alone. There are other survivors in this subterranean grotto–survivors spanning decades of maritime disasters.
Will this discovery prove salvation, or have they all been condemned to the same fate? A grim finale at the bottom of the sea?
On an alliance forged by friendship and attraction, Stella and Colin battle to escape the danger that lies beneath.
Thank you for joining us for the Review and Excerpt Tour for BENEATH by Maureen A. Miller!
This YA fantasy adventure with a touch of romance is the story of what happens when an accident in the Atlantic Ocean brings a fate, no one could imagine.
Follow the tour for reviews, excerpts, and enter to win a $50 Amazon gift card!
They would never stop until they were once again beneath. by Stella
YA/NA romantic fantasy with mostly the heroine point-of-view. There are a couple of chapters that her best-friends has also a voice.
*** If you follow my reviews, this will be a bit confusing. I have created a review system, but couldn’t really fit this review into it. So, is out-of-order, or at least, what I consider order. 🙂 ***
This book is out of my comfort zone. Really, I am a romance reader. All sort of romance, YA, NA, contemporary, erotic, paranormal… but usually it has romance, most of the time, HEA. Yes, I read serials, but always looking forward to the HEA or at least HFN kind of ending.
A love story was never promised at the blurb of this book, in fact, I have no idea why I chose to read this. I’ve regretted a few times earlier this week, until I finally started to read this yesterday.
I don’t know what I was expecting exactly. At the beginning I was a bit baffled. There is a lot of scientific explanation of what is happening in the story and really a different pace from what I usually read. But soon, I was hooked into this story and I almost read this entire book in one sitting. I only stopped to feed my kids, because they insisted they needed dinner. 🙂
I ended the book really late, and I couldn’t write my review right after. I didn’t know what to write. I was feeling so much. All I can say is that I’m glad some sort of divine intervention made me choose this story. I LOVED IT! It played with my emotions. I was constantly on the edge of my seat and I couldn’t believe what I was reading most of the time. Also, I have to mention that there is enough romance here to appease my soul. 🙂 Yes, there is no HEA, but there is a sort of HFN (happily-for-now) ending. It feels like a serial. I believe will get to a HEA of sorts at the end of the series ( I have no idea how many books there will be).
At the end, all I can say is WOW!
Now, that I have “vomit” my feelings here, I will try to follow my review system below.
- Addictiveness: Even though I was baffled a few times, I couldn’t let go of this. So so so good!
- Character: hero 5/5, heroine 5/5, secondary characters 3/5, growth 3/5, real 5/5 I love both main characters. Stella was really remarkable. In fact, I forgot many times that she was only 18, and then of course she would act like a teen with her insecurities and I was reminded of that. Colin was also very mature for his age. He was the perfect balance of protective of Stella and secure within himself to let her be in charge sometimes. I like the promise of several secondary characters, there is a lot there that I would love to know more.
- Cover: art 5/5, title 5/5, subtitle 5/5, color-font 5/5, buy 5/5 I love book covers and this one is PERFECT! Really, the art is amazing, the title very fitting to the story and the font/colors only adds to the appeal. Oh, I love to “read” hints of stories in a book cover, here I can see a lot. AMAZING!!!
- Freshness: WOW!!! This is something I have never, ever read before. Is unique, one-of-a-kind! Really so creative.
- Plot: believable 4/5, conflict 5/5, dialogue 4/5, ending 5/5, enjoyment 5/5, opening 3.5/5, pace 4/5, setting 5/5, subplots 5/5, twists 5/5 Ok opening and wonderful ending. Perfect conflict and dialogues well written. Steady pace with enough subplots to enhance the story. Several unexpected twists that made this story believable and enjoyable. Really, this story is surreal, but it was so well written that if felt totally believable.
- Romance: believable 4/5, chemistry 4/5, description 4/5, development 5/5, steam 1/5 This is an adventure/fantasy book, but there is a love story being build here. Is slow, but it is happening. From the first scenes of the book, I felt their chemistry. They were only holding rope, but I knew there was sparks there. Even though they are more new adults in age, their romance is a bit young adult, but at the same time, if feels like the kind that will last forever.
- Writing Style: Amazingly creative plot, adorable characters and a cute romance brewing. What is not to like?
- I don’t really know. Maybe plot wise, some of the scientific jargon was hard to follow sometimes. I had to reread a few passages only to make sure I understood what was going on, but this could be because this is a bit outside the box from my usual reading material.
Yes, I know, a lot of thoughts in this book.
But, this was my first read from this author and I had no idea what to expect.
What I received was awe moments, crying moments, cute moments and even happy moments.
This was not a very light read, I felt their pain and despair at times, but I have ended with the feeling of hope.
32.5/35 STARS = 4.5 stars (between 31.5 to 33/35)
Addictiveness: 5 Character: 4.5 Cover: 5 Freshness: 5 Plot: 4.5 Romance: 4 Writing Style: 4.5
- Action 4/5
- Angst 3/5
- Darkness 0/5
- Humor 2/5
- Romance 4/5
- Suspense/Mystery 4/5
- Would I recommend? I think this is a MUST read to everyone that is ready for something different and unique.
- Would I re-read this book? I’m certain I will!
- Would I re-read this series? Sure.
- Would I read more from the author? I’m really looking forward to read more from the author.
You MAY read this because you follow the author; you SHOULD read this because you like romantic fantasy; you MUST read this because you are ready for an emotional rollercoaster!!!
Enter to win a $50 Amazon gift card