I received this book for free from Social Butterfly PR in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Published by Ever After on May 08, 2018
Format: Digital, print
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Source: Social Butterfly PR
Buy on Amazon, Buy on Barnes & Noble, Buy on IBooks, Buy on Kobo, International Options
From New York Times bestselling author Lexi Ryan comes a sexy new standalone romance about a woman who’d do anything to have a baby and the man who’d do anything to have her…
For my 30th birthday, I’m giving myself the one thing I want most: a baby. Sure, this would be easier if I had a husband—or even a boyfriend—but I refuse to be thwarted by minor details.
When I drunkenly confess my plans to my friends, they convince me to ask Jake Jackson for help. Jake, the best friend who’s been there for me through thick and thin. Jake, who also happens to be smart, funny, ridiculously good looking, and the winner of all the genetic lotteries.
So when Jake takes me up on my request—with the stipulation that we get the job done the old-fashioned way—I’d be a fool to decline.
The only problem? I don’t know if I can separate sex from all the things I feel for this amazing man. If I can’t keep my heart under lock and key, I risk losing the relationship I need the most.
Jake has his own reasons for granting my baby wish. But when I discover his secrets, it could mean the end of us. I have to choose—run or stay and fight for love.
Fall for the boys of Jackson Harbor in Lexi Ryan’s sexy new contemporary romance series. These books can all be read as standalones, but you’ll enjoy reading them as a series!
Amazon Universal: myBook.to/SUL
Add to Goodreads: http://bit.ly/2vPI58q
Contemporary romance; friends-to-lovers romance.
Book #2 of The Boys of Jackson Harbor, but can’t be read as a stand-alone. I haven’t read the first book and I have understood this one completely.
- Addictiveness: Highly addictive. I couldn’t put this book down. Really, their story, the angst, the love, the twists… oh my. What a book!!!
- Character: hero 5/5, heroine 5/5, secondary characters 5/5, growth 5/5, real 5/5. A group of amazing characters is the foundation for a great series. Here, we have all these great siblings and this fantastic group of friends. This series has a lot to tell still. Jake is book-boyfriend material. He is hot as hell, alpha, sweet, caring, loyal, great brother and the best friend in the world. He has loved Ava for a long time, but immaturity and bad timing had kept them apart from each other. Now that Ava is turning 30, while parting, in a drunk decision she asks Jackson to give her a baby. What she meant was an in-vitro situation, but Jake’s condition is that they must do it the old-fashion way. Ava had a crush on her best-friend in high school and college, until one night she found out he thought of her as a sister. From that moment on, she has locked away any feelings she harbored for him. Because of that, she is the only person in their small town that doesn’t know Jake loves her. Ava, is also a great heroine. She is vulnerable and has insecurities. She has had a bad relationship and grew up with one of the worst dads in the world. They are both multidimensional characters that are easy to love, connect and understand. They grow so much as a person throughout the story and their development arch is very well written.
- Cover: art 4/5, title 5/5, subtitle 5/5, color-font 5/5, buy 5/5 This cover is great. It is really hot and sexy! At the same time you feel the love. The colors and font used are great enhancements for this perfect title. I would definitely buy this book without reading the blurb.
- Freshness: This doesn’t have anything that I could say, “oh, so original”, but at the same time it feels fresh. The author kept throwing twists and turns that kept me guessing until the end. In fact, there are still lots of mystery to be solved in the other books of the series.
- Plot: believable 4/5, conflict 5/5, dialogue 5/5, ending 4/5, enjoyment 5/5, opening 5/5, pace 5/5, setting 5/5, subplots 5/5, twists 5/5 Great opening and good ending. Amazing conflict and dialogues written very well . Fast-paced with enough heat that made it really enjoyable. So many twists that kept me on the edge and lots of love that had me squirming on my seat. I love how the author kept getting new subplots here already preparing the reader for the rest of the series. Very well written plot!
- Romance: believable 5/5, chemistry 5/5, description 5/5, development 5/5, steam 5/5 This is a love story. This is the book of a couple that have known each other since little kids and have always been best-friends. They know each other really well and they have always been each others support. Their story didn’t start here, but throughout a lifetime. It is obvious for the readers that their journey had only one outcome: they being together. The author has woven a beautiful romance, with the perfect amount of smut and lots of emotion.
- Writing Style: Fantastic characters, kept-me-guessing plot and beautiful romance.
- The end! I mean, it was good, but there still unsolved business here.
I haven’t read the first book, but I have already bought it to read. I’ve loved all characters and I can’t wait to read more about all of them.
31.5/35 STARS – 4.5 STARS (between 31.5 stars and 33 stars)
Addictiveness: 4.5 Character: 5 Cover: 4.5 Freshness: 4 Plot: 4 Romance: 5 Writing Style: 4.5
- Action 0/5
- Angst 3.5/5
- Darkness 0/5
- Humor 3/5
- Romance 5/5
- Suspense/Mystery 2/5
- Would I recommend? Yes. A must read for everyone that likes sexy romance.
- Would I re-read this book? YES!
- Would I re-read this series? Sure.
- Would I read more from the author? I can’t wait to read more!!!
You MAY read this because you like the author; you SHOULD read this because you followed the series; you MUST read this because you are a fan of friends-to-lovers romance!!!
Ava’s crawling back down the bed and pulling the covers over her head.
“Can we talk about this?” I ask.
“No,” she says, her voice muffled.
I cross the room and pull the blanket off her head. I know she’s hungover, but I can’t just walk away from this conversation. I barely slept last night, freaking torn up about her pregnancy and all its implications, and now she’s telling me she’s not pregnant. She just wants to be, and she wants my help.
What the fuck does that mean?
“Talk.” I fold my arms across my chest.
“I want a family, and I’m sick of waiting for Mr. Right to come along, so I’m going to do it on my own.”
“And you want my help?” Hell. I’m trying really hard not to jump to conclusions here. Emphasis on hard.
“Yeah. I mean, no. I mean . . .” She takes a deep breath. “It sounded like a good idea last night.”
Doing baby-making things with Ava sounds like a good idea to me every minute of every hour of every damn day, but I’m quite aware that doing that with me doesn’t cross her mind nearly as often. Okay, or ever. “Last night, when you asked for my help, you meant you wanted me to get you pregnant?”
She scowls. “Are you being dense on purpose?”
“I promise I’m not.” But if ever there was a conversation where I’m going to need things spelled out for me, this is it. “I just want to make sure I understand.”
She presses her palm to her forehead. “I just wanted you to jack off in a cup and hand it to me. Not the weird way.”
Right. Because that wouldn’t be weird. “I’m sorry.” I hold up a finger. “Give me a sec.” I walk around the room, scanning the ceiling and the corners. I check behind the lamp and crack the closet to look in there.
“What are you doing, Jake?”
I spin on her. “I’m looking for the camera—the one you planted before you Punk’d me. Is that show even still a thing? Because I’m sure I’m being Punk’d right now.”