Published by Pandamoon Publishing on October 11, 2016
Source: Dana Faletti
Buy on Amazon
Beautiful Secret is set mostly in the lush French Ardennes and Southern Italy. It is the story of thirty-three year old Tate Robbins, a woman who has lost almost everything that is important to her in life. When Tate decides to travel from her hometown in the North of Pittsburgh to Europe, she expects an escape from the life that is falling apart around her. Having lost both parents, Tate jumps at the opportunity when her dying Nana urges her to journey across the sea. Nana provides Tate with the vague directive to go and visit Luisa, Nana’s sister-in-law and best friend, that Luisa has something for her. It is Nana’s dying wish, so Tate hops a plane, leaving behind a failing marriage and not much else. She finds what she never knew she needed in her long-lost European family and a forbidden love affair. Alongside Tate’s narrative, Nana Maria’s story is told from her point of view and timeframe. Maria’s story is woven in between Tate’s. The tale takes place in 1940’s Calabria, where she was born and lived for the first twenty years of her life. In her own voice, Maria spins the saga of growing up in the poor rural town of Tronca in the mountains, being seduced by her cousin’s older fiancé, Giuseppe, and becoming pregnant with his love child.
Europe enraptures Tate almost immediately. Not only does the rich culture make her feel more alive than she’s felt in ages, but she finds herself completely taken with her French and Italian family. When she becomes undeniably attracted to her distant cousin by marriage, Michel, a man with a tragic past like hers, Tate’s emotions begin to unravel from the knot they’ve been tied in far too long. Torn between a magnetic pull toward the sexy Michel and a commitment to the philandering man who is technically still her husband, Tate looks forward to leaving France to travel to Italy. Before Tate leaves France, Luisa gives her an envelope and an address with directions to find the location and give the envelope to the man who lives there. Tate agrees, and she is off to experience Italy and discover her Nana’s secrets, find a new love, and a host of distant relatives she never knew about.
Thank you Dana, for answering our questions and giving us a little glimpse into your life.
Romantic; heartbreaking; beautiful!!!
- Cover- I really like the cover. It was the first thing that caught my attention. I love Italy and it would be impossible for me not to fall in love with that view and want to read this book.
- Plot- WOW!!! O.M.G!!! Really, I’m so impressed with Ms. Faletti’s writing that I’m speechless. She masterfully wrote an incredible plot that intertwined Tatiana and her grandmother’s story in a way that sometimes I felt overwhelmed with emotions. Also, the setting Ms. Faletti has created is so real, that you can feel the heat, the sun, the sand, Italy, France.
- Characters- I like the characters. I love Nana, and I really like Tate’s entire family. I’ve really liked Tatiana, but sometimes I was like… NO… choose differently! You can do it! I’ve suffered with some of her choices.
- Heat/Romance- This is a very romantic story, that has been painstakingly written by the author. I cried so much with this book that I don’t even know how I have ended it.
- Addictiveness- It is a very addictive book, but at the same time, it was so intense that I had to take myself away from it a few times. I did read a couple of funny, fun, short entertainment in-between.
- Freshness- Have I mentioned how Ms. Faletti’s writing is unbelievable? Really, it all felt so fresh, new, unique that I can’t even describe that.
- The End- I’m sorry I didn’t like the end, and I did took out half star because of it.
I believe that everything I will say here it will end up being spoiler, so I will hide for those that wouldn’t like to read it.
I was an emotional mess after reading this. In fact, I still feel like I cannot do this book justice, because I’m unable to explain myself correctly in midst of this emotional turmoil. I have finished this book for two weeks now, but I still find it hard to get my emotions in check.View Spoiler »I am a romantic at heart, in fact, I usually avoid traps like this, that doesn’t feel like HEA at all. Yes, I know, lots of people felt like this has a great HEA, for me, there was no HEA. I’m always hopeful, I have found my HEA and I truly believe everyone should find theirs, never give up. I could see so many ways this ending could have been different, even though my mind already knew almost from the beginning that this was how it would ended. It made sense, but my heart doesn’t agree at all with this. I don’t regret reading it, it’s like poetry, but I will always wish for a different ending. « Hide Spoiler
At the end of the day, I have to say Ms. Faletti has excelled here. This is what reading is all about, a truly cathartic experience!
You MAY buy this book because you can’t resist its cover; you SHOULD buy this book because you love a great romance; you MUST READ this because it is UNFORGETTABLE!!!